Questrade 2018 Year in Review
2018 was a huge year for Questrade. Early in the year, there was an enormous spike in trading volume which caused multi-day outages among many brokers, but our technology team did a great job keeping our platforms online and stable through all the traffic. Which is one of the reasons why this was our best year ever in terms of new customers. We grew to over $8 billion in assets under administration and were named as one of Canada’s best managed companies for the 7th year in a row.
We were very busy throughout the year launching numerous updates across all of our trading platforms and client touch points (including the addition of two-step verification for logging into your Questrade account), as well as a fresh batch of commercials to encourage Canadians to question their status quo so they can retire faster and wealthier.
Here are some of the new features we launched in 2018 that we’re most excited about:
Mobile app improvements
- Introduced biometric login
- Added support for Android Fingerprint ID and Apple Touch ID
- Added support for Apple Face ID
- Enhanced the account activity area
- Now you can access a historic report of all transactions in all your Questrade accounts, right from your phone
- Introduced new mobile-first charting
- Powered by ChartIQ we rebuilt our charting solution from the ground-up using best-in-class technology to create a responsive user-friendly experience
- These new charts are also being added to Questrade Trading to further improve the chart experience for web users
Questrade IQ Edge — advanced desktop trading platform
- Improved chart layout to make axis information easier to read
- Added a number of venues to Time and Sales data
- Option order entry enhancements to make it easier and faster to add options
- Quote window improvements with after-hours data added
- Improved security-lending process for short orders, allowing clients to self-serve and see borrow rate more easily (also applied to Questrade Trading)
- Screener upgrades
- Released practice version of IQ Edge for Mac
- Completely redesigned and relaunched Questrade.com with a focus on making it easier and faster to use, especially for the new investors who are joining us in record numbers
- New searchable knowledge base
- Clarified common questions
- Re-launched our online managed investing service as Questwealth Portfolios
- Dramatically cut management fees to help Canadians retire faster
- Increased portfolio diversification with new ETFs
- Lowered ETF management fees by up to 50%
- Added SRI (Socially Responsible Investing) portfolios
- Streamlined the online Portfolio Questionnaire to make it faster and easier to get the portfolio that will help you get to your goals.
What motivated the changes you implemented?
Questrade is focused on helping Canadians become much more financially successful and secure. That’s why we provide the most innovative and cost efficient financial services online. Our goal is for nothing short of a revolution in the financial services choices currently available to Canadians.
What do you feel most proud and excited about?
At Questrade, we’re excited about helping Canadians keep more of their money. To us, we get up in the morning knowing that we’re making people’s lives better. Bringing them products and services that are easy to use and easy to understand, so they can take control of their financial future. We’re excited to continue serving Canadians in 2019 and beyond.
What will Questrade be focusing on for 2019?
We never stand still here and have a lot of improvements planned. We’ll continue to use technology to create easier ways to invest and continue being the advocate for Canadians, reminding them to ask tough questions about their money.
To learn more about Questrade, visit www.questrade.com.